Photographs

Ashgrove Historical Society Inc. logo and name png

  • HS1 Ashgrove Titles Map 1875

    1875 Map showing first freehold blocks 26 - 29.

  • HS2 Ashgrove State School 1890

    First Ashgrove school - 1890.

  • HS3 St Johns Wood House ca 1930

    'St John's Wood House' or 'Granite House' c.a. 1930.

  • HS4 Glenlyon House and Billiards Room

    Glenlyon House and Billiards Room - built 1876.

  • HS5 Tram on Waterworks Rd 1924

    Tram on Waterworks Road 1924.

  • HS6 James Brunton Stephens 1902

    James Brunton Stephens, 1902 - celebrated poet and head teacher at Ashgrove State  School in 1877.

  • HS7 Federal to Grove Estate Horse Bus

    William Marshall and passengers in the horse bus, corner of Three Mile Scrub Road (Ashgrove Avenue) and Dorset Street.  Source: Eunice Adame.

  • HS8 Trout Family Federation Celebration 1901

    Trout family "federation reunion", perhaps at Richard Trout's home ‘Cumstree’, corner of  Dalton Street and Waterworks Road.  1901.
    Image source: Alan Trout.

  • HS9 WWII soldiers Embassy Hall St Johns Wood

    WWII soldiers  c.1945 outside Embassy Hall in Royal Parade in St Johns Wood. Part of 2/1 Australian Chemical Warfare Laboratory contingent.

  • HS10 BP Garage Stewart Rd 1974

    Old BP garage, Stewart Road near old bridge, Jan 1974 flood.

St John's Wood House 1868

Photo of St John's Wood House or Granite House taken in 1868

St John's Wood House 1868 St John’s Wood House, also known as The Granite House, 1868.

'This stone building was once the centre-piece of a large estate encompassing the whole of St John's Wood. The 52 acre property was purchased from the crown for seventy pounds and four shillings in 1858 by John Frederick McDougall who sold it to Arthur Martin five years later. Daniel Rowntree Somerset acquired it the following year. Using granite quarried from the hills behind, he had constructed a U-shaped stone residence on the site by 1868 when ...'
Excerpt from 'Ashgrove Heritage Tour': Dick Paten, 2006

See also St John's Wood House c.a. 1930